Is the fuel pump pulsator necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I just replaced the fuel pump and sending unit in my 96 vortec. Walbro # 5CA400 and Spectra sender. I’ve started it a few times and drove it for about 15 minutes with no issues. Fuel pressure seems good. However, I just realized after putting everything back together that my original pump has a pulsator. Should I be worried about the new one not having it? I don’t feel like taking the pump out again to check, but idk if the old pulsator is even long enough to join the Walbro pump to the rest of the assembly. Right now it just has the supplied rubber hose.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just replaced the fuel pump and sending unit in my 96 vortec. Walbro # 5CA400 and Spectra sender. I’ve started it a few times and drove it for about 15 minutes with no issues. Fuel pressure seems good. However, I just realized after putting everything back together that my original pump has a pulsator. Should I be worried about the new one not having it? I don’t feel like taking the pump out again to check, but idk if the old pulsator is even long enough to join the Walbro pump to the rest of the assembly. Right now it just has the supplied rubber hose.
Why wouldn’t Walbro put one there? I’ve been driving with that pump and zero issues.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my original pump has a pulsator

The Pulsator

Sounds like a Marvel Comics Superhero... or a novelty often sold at a store along the interstate.

I had a 1995 S10 Blazer with a pulsator and it leaked, which necessitated a pump R&R. The new pump just came with the rubber hose.

I was left with the impression that a pulsator was something GM installed as OE but in practice they were trouble. Once removed, they were never (re)installed.

I have always assumed their purpose was dampen pressure pulses in the fuel line.

I seem to remember someone telling me that the segment of rubber hose was designed to be compliant enough to act as a "pulsator".

Or, the later-design fuel pumps may have had improvements which no longer warranted a pulsator.

I'm sure there will be others with different stories.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the later-design fuel pumps may have had improvements which no longer warranted a pulsator.
There's half-a-dozen ways to construct a fuel pump. Some have more pressure-pulses than others.

The need for a pulsator is dependent upon fuel pump construction and potentially other factors.

My Luminas have pulsators. They weren't leaking, so I left them in place.
You must be registered for see images attach

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I’m glad I don’t need to jack up the bed again and pull the pump out just to add a pulsator back in lol