Ignition coil bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94' Yukon, TBI. Im painting all my brackets, and wondering if I should paint the two brackets for the coil?

Are these brackets grounding the "frame" of the coil to the engine? Dont want to paint over the parts that touch the coil "frame" if thats the case.

I seem to remeber the OEM coil being bare metal to bare metal to the bracket when I drilled it out.

Thanks

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced the OEM coil, I left the brackets unpainted where they contact the coil, and put a thin layer of dielectric grease on that part. It held up pretty well, but if I can just paint the entire bracket it would be better.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 96 Vortec the factory paint is still on the bracket.
They are still sold painted.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think my factory coil setup was painted where it contacted the bracket, but that was years ago now. I remember wondering about it when I replaced the coil, which is why I left that part and where the boltc going into the intake contact the bracket. The engine builder painted the intake, so it'll make electrical contact through the bolt.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to me, the primary coil is fed 12VDC and the ICM grounds it when it pulses from the distributor/ECM. The secondary coil is grounded by the spark plug when it fires. Those windings are all insulated from the iron frame. I've had a couple coils ground to the frame, when they got wet, which caused a momentary misfire.

IDK if the iron frame needs to be grounded though...

Edit: it doesn't show the frame being grounded here, it just shows the ICM grounded. But... it doesn't show the secondary winding, oh well.

Last edited: