Headlights on, dash lights off and gauges not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skivolks

Reaction score
When I turn on my headlights the dash lights go out and the turn signal lights come on and the gauges don't work. Also the blue high beam light comes on. I replaced the headlight and dimmer switches. Does anybody know how to fix this? Daily driver for work.
You must be registered for see images attach

skivolks

Reaction score
When I turn on my headlights the dash lights go out and the turn signal lights come on and the gauges don't work. Also the blue high beam light comes on. I replaced the headlight and dimmer switches. Does anybody know how to fix this? Daily driver for work.
You must be registered for see images attach
The truck is running in this picture with the headlights on

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad grounds cause weirdness - if you dont have the manuals they are probably available (free) on this site and it pretty much shows where they all are. I would start there as that is mostly likely what you have going on. If the previous owner had electrical modification proclivities it becomes more character-building.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear taillight harness is notorious for broken ground issues. If you need a junkyard replacement harness, the pickup harnesses are usually hacked up pretty badly. Suburban harnesses are more often unmolested.