Gas for generator - storage use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The questions pretty much come down to this - for semi-long-term storage of gasoline for generator use, would you:

1. Buy regular whatever from the station (E15 around here), or ethanol-free if it's reasonably available? (strike-thru because apparently the only ethanol-free around here is premium)

2. Whichever one you choose, would you add Sta-bil?

3. How long would you trust that choice to sit in new steel cans before you use it?

The only vehicle we have that runs regular is the dually, so I could periodically cycle the fuel through that truck in order to freshen the stored fuel in the cans. I have read that even modern ethanol-free with Sta-bil goes "off" sooner than some have expected, which is pretty much the reason for this post.

Thanks!
Richard

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Why a steel can?

I don't seem to have an issue keeping gas over the winter for my mowers. I've been buying premium even though it still has ethanol in it.

I suppose the temperature being cold here during that time of non-use might help preserve it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why a steel can?

I don't seem to have an issue keeping gas over the winter for my mowers. I've been buying premium even though it still has ethanol in it.

I suppose the temperature being cold here during that time of non-use might help preserve it.
The heat we get during the day makes plastic cans swell up like balloons ready to pop; it's a little concerning. Also the plastic cans come with those stupid EPA/CARB nozzles that leak and spill everywhere. Yeah you can buy replacement old-style nozzles for them, but since I got new cans, I went ahead with quality steel ones with old-style nozzles. The price of 5 gallon plastic cans, once you add a decent nozzle, isn't significantly less than a quality steel can.

I struck through the ethanol-free choice because I just checked and the place somewhat near me that has it, only has it in premium grade. No sense spending that only to feed it to a generator or lawn equipment, or eventually a low-compression big block.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having 2 boats, in the past, and having had my generator for many years, I have used sta-bill for years, but mostly in my boats. All of this, I have plastic gas tanks, well except for my last boat, a fiberglass bass boat, with a 20 gallon, aluminum tank. It won't hurt anything to run premium gas, mid grade gas, or regular gas, in your generator. The trick is to drain all of the gas dry, before you put it away, for storage. If you use sta-bill, in any gas can, this will get you through 1 storm season, with no problems at all. At the end of the storm season, just add it to your truck, and next year, you can get some fresh fuel. Personally, I have 3,,5 gallon plastic gas cans. Living in Lafayette Louisiana, like you, we have plenty of advance warning of a storm. At that point, I simply fill my gas cans. If I don't need them, then after the storm, I can add the gas to my wife's car, or my truck with some octane booster, or hell even my Corvette with the octane booster. I never keep gas for more then 6 or 8 months. IMO, the most important thing, is to drain out all of the gas in the generator after you are finished using it, if you know that it will sit for more than 6 months or so.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Having 2 boats, in the past, and having had my generator for many years, I have used sta-bill for years, but mostly in my boats. All of this, I have plastic gas tanks, well except for my last boat, a fiberglass bass boat, with a 20 gallon, aluminum tank. It won't hurt anything to run premium gas, mid grade gas, or regular gas, in your generator. The trick is to drain all of the gas dry, before you put it away, for storage. If you use sta-bill, in any gas can, this will get you through 1 storm season, with no problems at all. At the end of the storm season, just add it to your truck, and next year, you can get some fresh fuel. Personally, I have 3,,5 gallon plastic gas cans. Living in Lafayette Louisiana, like you, we have plenty of advance warning of a storm. At that point, I simply fill my gas cans. If I don't need them, then after the storm, I can add the gas to my wife's car, or my truck with some octane booster, or hell even my Corvette with the octane booster. I never keep gas for more then 6 or 8 months. IMO, the most important thing, is to drain out all of the gas in the generator after you are finished using it, if you know that it will sit for more than 6 months or so.
The generator does have a fuel valve so I can shut off the supply and let the carb run dry, so that's a nice feature. I'd still have to deal with the fuel in the tank if there's much left that might end up sitting for a long time, but it does have a fuel gauge so that's helpful. If needed I can siphon it out then turn the valve back on and let it run completely dry on the remains.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel cans are great. I’ve got a plastic 5 gallon jug that holds 7 gallons now due to expansion.

I use sea-foam for my storage. I use it for snow blowers in the summer, mowers in the winter. I’ll turn off the fuel line, run it dry, then add the appropriate amount of sea-foam to the tank. However, these small engines are stored out of direct sunlight so that might help keep away some degradation. I try to use ethanol free fuel when I think of it. Usually it’s 87 from the local station.

My parents are getting a generator finally, but their’s will use LP. I’m guessing LP isn’t an option for you.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The generator does have a fuel valve so I can shut off the supply and let the carb run dry, so that's a nice feature. I'd still have to deal with the fuel in the tank if there's much left that might end up sitting for a long time, but it does have a fuel gauge so that's helpful. If needed I can siphon it out then turn the valve back on and let it run completely dry on the remains.

Richard
That's pretty much what I do. The carb on my generator, has a drain bolt, at the bottom of the bowl, so I can remove it, and drain out any gas. Also before I start the generator, I pull this bowl off, and look the float over, just to be sure that everything looks good, before I put gas in it. Mine also had a shut off valve for the tank. I usually disconnect the rubber hose from the shut off valve to the carb, and drain the tank like that. That just what I do. As long as you drain out all of the gas, that's what's important. Looks like y'all are getting a lot of rain from this depression, and have a bunch more coming. It's been raining here for 3 days, but it all been lite rain. No big deal for us here. Good luck with the weather.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Steel cans are great. I’ve got a plastic 5 gallon jug that holds 7 gallons now due to expansion.
Wow.. that's pretty extreme. The couple 2 gallon plastic cans I've got for the lawn stuff look like bloated roadkill when it gets hot. I hate 'em. Then when the weather cools off they suck back in so much I'm surprised they don't split.

My parents are getting a generator finally, but their’s will use LP. I’m guessing LP isn’t an option for you.
There were a lot of choices in fuel types for the generators I was looking at - gas, gas/propane, gas/propane/natural gas. I picked the dual-fuel gas/propane, as it was actually a little cheaper than the same model gas-only; I guess it's a better seller. I don't have any intention of running it on propane, as the max power rating it has is achieved using gas, but it's nice to have the option if I ever needed it.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The heat we get during the day makes plastic cans swell up like balloons ready to pop; it's a little concerning.

I really only notice that if my gas can is outside in the sun.

Also the plastic cans come with those stupid EPA/CARB nozzles that leak and spill everywhere. Yeah you can buy replacement old-style nozzles for them, but since I got new cans, I went ahead with quality steel ones with old-style nozzles. The price of 5 gallon plastic cans, once you add a decent nozzle, isn't significantly less than a quality steel can.

True, those stupid EPA nozzles are a pain. I saw the cans you bought in your other post. I didn't know those were available. I bought a steel safety can recently, and then found I didn't like it. I can't imagine what the manufacturer was thinking. The valve mechanism looks like it's as much of a pain, as your typical EPA can. I'm going to re-sell it. Maybe I'll buy one of those jerry cans like you bought. I do need a new gas can.

I struck through the ethanol-free choice because I just checked and the place somewhat near me that has it, only has it in premium grade. No sense spending that only to feed it to a generator or lawn equipment, or eventually a low-compression big block.

A few years ago, the local John Deere dealer told me that all the small engine companies were recommending Premium now, to get away from ethanol. Apparently, in some areas Premium doesn't get the ethanol added. Here in MI it pretty much all has ethanol, and they don't have to post it. You can find "recreational gas" that's ethanol free, but not every station has it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I really only notice that if my gas can is outside in the sun.
Here, it's just the heat, period. No sunlight needed. :(

True, those stupid EPA nozzles are a pain. I saw the cans you bought in your other post. I didn't know those were available. I bought a steel safety can recently, and then found I didn't like it. I can't imagine what the manufacturer was thinking. The valve mechanism looks like it's as much of a pain, as your typical EPA can. I'm going to re-sell it. Maybe I'll buy one of those jerry cans like you bought. I do need a new gas can.
Just got these but they're pretty highly rated. Gelg brand*, made in Poland. NATO certified but for obvious reasons, "illegal" to use for gasoline in the US. There's quite a few choices for steel 5 gallon "Jerry" cans and you can find some info about them if you search reddit. These seemed like the best choice and it didn't make sense to save a couple bucks getting the chinesium look-alikes.

A few years ago, the local John Deere dealer told me that all the small engine companies were recommending Premium now, to get away from ethanol. Apparently, in some areas Premium doesn't get the ethanol added. Here in MI it pretty much all has ethanol, and they don't have to post it. You can find "recreational gas" that's ethanol free, but not every station has it.
There's a Buc-ee's (a Texas thing but they're beginning to expand outside of the state - they're GIGANTIC gas stations with a huge store attached, they're pretty impressive actually - lots of great food choices and super clean HUGE restrooms) about 15 miles from me that has ethanol-free, but apparently only in premium. I think I'm just gonna add Sta-bil to plain old 87 from the Exxon down the street. Already ordered a bottle of Sta-bil "360" that will be here in a couple days.

Holy crap.. found a 5 year old reddit post about that exact station - the 92 octane ethanol-free was $3, which is what I just paid for regular 87 at the Exxon. JFC. Mind you clearly far more expensive than the 5-year-old price of $2.32 for ethanol 93..

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

*got the cans from jerrycan dot com (note no "S", jerrycans dot com is a totally different site) - they shipped pretty quickly and included free rubber nozzles with each can. I bought the "blems" to save a few bucks - $50/ea instead of $60/ea, but they look totally fine. They discuss what they consider "blems" on their site well enough that I was confident buying them. **** Further disclaimer - I noticed earlier tonight their site was in "maintenance mode" and unavailable. It's back now and it looks like a major update with lots of references to their organic farm, with some weird errors and maybe mistakes that are enough to almost make it look like a scam site. Trust me though they are the real deal and that's where my cans came from, ordered on 6/14 and arrived 6/18 via UPS.

Last edited: