"Fuel Pump Relay Low Voltage"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pos94obs

Reaction score
I have a 1994 c1500, my truck is throwing a code for 53 (fuel pump relay low voltage) could this cause my gas gauge to read wrong, cuz im pretty sure its been reading wrong recently, and what should i do to fix it

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum.

Follow the diagnostic steps for Code 53.

The fuel pump and the gas-gauge rheostat are in the same assembly inside the fuel tank, but low voltage to the fuel pump relay is almost certainly NOT related to the fuel gauge inaccuracy.

If the gas gauge reads higher than the true level, (very common) it's probably due to high resistance (corrosion) in the wire harness between the gauge and the sending unit in the tank; or between the sending unit and ground.

If the gas gauge reads lower than the true level (not so common) it may be a problem within the gas tank (bent float arm, float that's gotten heavy)

Fuel gauge diagnosis will also be in the service manual.