Frame Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devn

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post here sorry if it’s in the wrong spot.

I picked up a 97 K1500 from my brother who left state. Overall an awesome truck but I found this spot on the frame.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I’m in Iowa so this isn’t a surprise and I’ve seen way worse on the road. I paid next to nothing for the truck and it’s kinda sentimental so I wanted your guy’s opinions. Fixable? Weld a patch and forget about it? Or run till she breaks? I never tow anything or haul anything most I do is pull buddy’s out of the ditch. Thanks everyone!

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get new hangers. Cut out all the bad, weld in new, fishplate, then install new hangers. Only IF it is possible in that spot. Looks like the bed mount is close. I can’t remember if they sell replacements, but it might not be that bad to re-create.

Have someone competent do this job. I’d inspect the rest of the truck thoroughly. Wash the with a pressure washer to knock all the dirt off, let it dry, then give it a good inspection. You might find it’s not worth saving.

Devn

Reaction score
You can get new hangers. Cut out all the bad, weld in new, fishplate, then install new hangers. Only IF it is possible in that spot. Looks like the bed mount is close. I can’t remember if they sell replacements, but it might not be that bad to re-create.

Have someone competent do this job. I’d inspect the rest of the truck thoroughly. Wash the with a pressure washer to knock all the dirt off, let it dry, then give it a good inspection. You might find it’s not worth saving.
Ok at least I can tell myself there is a little hope. I checked the rest of the truck specifically at the bends and where the steering box mounts and everything looks good. Thank you for the quick reply!

Devn

Reaction score
If that's the only spot, all good it can be easily patched up. Might could hit the rest of it with a wire wheel and do a POR-15 job on it to prevent further degradation.
Awesome I love to hear that! I was planning on doing some sort of undercoating before winter hit. Thanks for the POR-15 recommendation I’ve seen so many undercoating options I got overwhelmed lol.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome I love to hear that! I was planning on doing some sort of undercoating before winter hit. Thanks for the POR-15 recommendation I’ve seen so many undercoating options I got overwhelmed lol.
Not sure if it’s the northeast salt and potholes, but I didn’t get good results with P15? Rust prevention in the northeast is just as important as changing your oil. I went with the eastwood platinum on my 91 C2500 restoration project. Brush on or use a spray gun and thin the platinum with xylene like I did. It’s held up extremely well for 3 years now. If you have the budget get yourself a descaler to clean up the frame - it provides access to corners and hard-to-reach areas. Informative video on several products.
Rust Prevention Eval

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 9