F’ing new guy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tminton64

Reaction score
Thanks for the add. I bought a 1998 Chevy dually crew cab 2wd with a 454 about 2yrs. ago and have been just driving it to get a feel for what I want to do with it. Right now I’m having some drivability issues. Running rough at idle, lack of power, engine missing when giving it the gas and small backfires through the muffler on deceleration. I’m not sure if it’s a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I did change the cap and rotor and it improved for a little while. Can the group point me in the right direction as to what I should be checking first? Again thanks for the add. I’m going to love this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 15

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OMG!!!! Stunning!!!!
You have one hell of a dream rig for a lot of us on here!! Very nice score!

As for your issues, the common response you will get is how old are all your "tune up parts"?
Plugs,wires,fuel filter etc?

WHAT cap and rotor? Some are junk out of the box, new doesn't necessarily mean good.

What's the fuel pressure? At idle, under load?

And do you have a scan tool? At least being OBD2, it should be easy to get one. Preferably one that has a live data stream.

Also, in the engine and performance section, there are "stickys". In there you will find the factory service manuals available for download. There are drivability issues sections to help diagnose the problems.

And speaking of engine and performance section, repost your question there, a lot of people don't check the introduction posts, so one of the first lessons, post in the appropriate section, lol.

Again, wicked truck, I'm soooooo jealous!

And welcome from Alberta Canada.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome. Nice looking truck. I'd start by doing a search for the factory service manuals, which are all posted on this forum. The FSM has a flow chart to diagnosing issues and is incredibly helpful. Your conditions, while super annoying, are too vague for anyone to point you in a meaningful direction. It could be any one of a hundred causes. The more info you can provide, the better the help we can share. Throwing any codes? Do you have access to a code reader or a scanner?

tminton64

Reaction score
OMG!!!! Stunning!!!!
You have one hell of a dream rig for a lot of us on here!! Very nice score!

As for your issues, the common response you will get is how old are all your "tune up parts"?
Plugs,wires,fuel filter etc?

WHAT cap and rotor? Some are junk out of the box, new doesn't necessarily mean good.

What's the fuel pressure? At idle, under load?

And do you have a scan tool? At least being OBD2, it should be easy to get one. Preferably one that has a live data stream.

Also, in the engine and performance section, there are "stickys". In there you will find the factory service manuals available for download. There are drivability issues sections to help diagnose the problems.

And speaking of engine and performance section, repost your question there, a lot of people don't check the introduction posts, so one of the first lessons, post in the appropriate section, lol.

Again, wicked truck, I'm soooooo jealous!

And welcome from Alberta Canada.
Thank you and thanks for the advice

tminton64

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice looking truck. I'd start by doing a search for the factory service manuals, which are all posted on this forum. The FSM has a flow chart to diagnosing issues and is incredibly helpful. Your conditions, while super annoying, are too vague for anyone to point you in a meaningful direction. It could be any one of a hundred causes. The more info you can provide, the better the help we can share. Throwing any codes? Do you have access to a code reader or a scanner?
Thanks Viking dude. I do have a scanner and it is throwing a code P1345. It is a innova 6100p. I do not have one that tells me the crankshaft to cam shaft #’s. I’ve had in a shop to have the timing redone but it seems to throw the code after driving for a while. The truck starts up with no problems. If I drive it for a while and shut it off for like 5 minutes it starts fine but feels like it is flooded when I drive. If I shut it off and restart immediately it returns to normal which is a rough idle and missing while lightly accelerating.