Early 4l80e and gear indicator on 95+ gmt 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SimplyGreene

Reaction score
I've tried to find a current thread on this but i couldn't if there is one please point me in the right direction and ill take this down.
I am working on swapping a 5.3 and 1991 4l80e into my 961500. The trans doesnt have provisions for a range sensor/pns switch. And the shift shaft is to short to add one anyway. The pns switch isnt that big of a concern, I can figure that part out. Id like for my gear indicator to work as well though. How could i achieve this? Anyone ran into this?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried to find a current thread on this but i couldn't if there is one please point me in the right direction and ill take this down.
I am working on swapping a 5.3 and 1991 4l80e into my 961500. The trans doesnt have provisions for a range sensor/pns switch. And the shift shaft is to short to add one anyway. The pns switch isnt that big of a concern, I can figure that part out. Id like for my gear indicator to work as well though. How could i achieve this? Anyone ran into this?
Look into Dakota Digital.

Also, the 91-93 units had a first design epc which had a cleaning cycle programmed into the PCM. It functions at a diff frequency than the 94+ 4L80E EPCs so you'll want to take that into account as applicable when you do your segment swap.

Check out my 4L80E Info thread if you need any addl info/resources.

Also, member @Astro has a thread on 4L80E swaps, worth checking out as well.

SimplyGreene

Reaction score

Also, the 91-93 units had a first design epc which had a cleaning cycle programmed into the PCM. It functions at a diff frequency than the 94+ 4L80E EPCs so you'll want to take that into account as applicable when you do your segment swap.

Thank you ! I was just reading your 4l80 thread and getting ready to take this down.

SimplyGreene

Reaction score

On alldata it says the PRNDL indicator works by a combination of ground signals. The Dakota digital GSS-3000 can only send 1 ground at a time.
Unsure if the X's on the chart attached indicate where grounds need to be for that particular indicator to light up, but thats what im thinking

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-28-21-52-26-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-28-21-52-26-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2024-07-28-21-51-50-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-28-21-51-50-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On alldata it says the PRNDL indicator works by a combination of ground signals. The Dakota digital GSS-3000 can only send 1 ground at a time.
Unsure if the X's on the chart attached indicate where grounds need to be for that particular indicator to light up, but thats what im thinking
Alldata will give you the information pertaining to a factory configuration. The DD is aftermarket and you're swapping an older trans into a newer vehicle that takes a manual lever position sensor so all bets are off. Call Dakota Digital tomorrow, explain what you're trying to do and see what they say. They'll be in the best position to tell you if their product will meet your needs.

I just suggested them as a place to start...

SimplyGreene

Reaction score
Alldata will give you the information pertaining to a factory configuration. The DD is aftermarket and you're swapping an older trans into a newer vehicle that takes a manual lever position sensor so all bets are off. Call Dakota Digital tomorrow, explain what you're trying to do and see what they say. They'll be in the best position to tell you if their product will meet your needs.

I just suggested them as a place to start...
I definitely appreciate the the suggestion! I was only continuing on the conversation I need to call them anyway for another project im working on.