Donor Truck: Should I buy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 burb 454 has 146k miles on it. Other than an oil leak, it runs great. Recently put some money into it as well (plugs, wires, distributor, 5-0 injectors, FPR). Trans seems well too. Just did our second camping trip pulling 28’ TT and she ran great.

Anyhow, I came across a 99 k2500 pickup with same motor with 83k miles on it. Asking $1900. The body is shot, it was a plow truck. Trans was recently rebuilt.

I’d have to trailer it as it’s not road worthy.

I was entertaining the idea of buying it because of the low mileage engine and recently built trans. Also has same rear end as mine.

basically a donor/ backup. Pull what I want and junk the rest.

Again, my truck as is runs fine. But do plan to keep for a good while.

Thoughts? Concerns being a plow truck?? Good deal for motor?

The wife looks at me sideways when I mention it and she doesnt want to look at a s#%*box in the driveway.

Maybe she’s right??

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d never buy a plow truck for a donor vehicle. Those things lived hard lives.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d never buy a plow truck for a donor vehicle. Those things lived hard lives.
Yes, that was my initial thoughts as well. Wasn’t sure if the abuse is more on the trans or engine or everything in general. Lol.
Appreciate your opinion.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could certainly buy it as a plow truck though. I’d be all over that!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have the plow truck owner pull the engine, transmission and axles and sell them to you separately.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he's looking to unload and probably not interested in additional efforts.It’s been sitting for awhile. Can get price down too, I think. The $1900 was without the plow btw. If I could get him to include and sell plow for a couple hundred.
Still undecided on the whole thing.