Dana 44 SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skylersa

Reaction score
Hey fellas. I have a 1997 k1500 that is currently all stock. It came with the rpo code f44 so it has the 14b sf rear axle. I want to lift the truck 3 to four inches max and I would also like to straight axle it for the strength and reliability. Is it possible to only lift it 3-4 inches and still have a firm ride, similar to a 3/4 ton? I do not plan on anything more than a 33inch tire max. I would like to put a Dana 44. So a late 70s ford front d44 is needed, right? Do I need to go with a high pinion or would a low pinion suffice? Thanks for any suggestions.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly don't think you'll be able to clear the crossmember with 3-4" of lift. If your not planning on anything over 4" then get the rxc 4" and don't crank it.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I honestly don't think you'll be able to clear the crossmember with 3-4" of lift. If your not planning on anything over 4" then get the rxc 4" and don't crank it.

^^ This. You are looking at a minumum of 5" lift to clear a sas. In fact both kits out there for the bolt on conversions have a 3" lift built into them and are intended for use with aftermarket lift springs the lowest i have been able to figure out was 5.5"

As for diff you want a ford D44 High pinion

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
no reason to sas for that small of a tire and lift, the d44 will be no stronger of a setup, you can fit 33's stock depending on the rim

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im just finishing up a SAS. im running a dana 60 high pinion out of a 79 F350 with the Offroad Design conversion kit. have stock 73-87 front springs so its only about 3-4 inches of lift with no clearance issues with 285s so about 33s. tried putting up pictures but it wont let me

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Create a free photobucket account and upload them there. Then copy and paste the img code here

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A while back Peterson 4-wheel had an article on sas kits and showed a low lift truck. I remember it was white, I think it was Off Road Direct's owners truck... Also the majority of new Chevy pulling trucks that I've seen are SAS'd and only running 33s. Its so its doable.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am SAS my 98 with a D44 from a 78 f250, I am at about 4 inches of lift give or take and I can fit a 35" tires. I have about 3 inches of uptravel at which the front diff is about 1/2" from hitting the frame. There is no interfierence with the stock cross member as I have not yet cut it out. If you choose to use off the shelf kits and leaf springs it is a little more difficult to keep it lower, if you link it, it is not as hard as some might think.