Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, would you use the term "ute" to describe your GMC in New Zealand?
Yes we do, although you can't get a real ute anymore as they were based on a car platform, so essentially a stationwagon with no rear roof. Much like an El Camino but without a full chassis. The name will live on though like most references to times gone by.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Looking good. Making me excited to get mine repainted. I'm also going to repaint in victory red, although I'm torn between keeping it solid red or doing a two tone red with a silver stripe down the middle.
There was a lot of debate on whether I was going to keep the two tone. If I would have kept it stock, I would have kept it.

My current plans are for a lift, regear to a 4:56, and then new wheels and tires. I think it will look a lot cleaner with just one color.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a lot of debate on whether I was going to keep the two tone. If I would have kept it stock, I would have kept it.

My current plans are for a lift, regear to a 4:56, and then new wheels and tires. I think it will look a lot cleaner with just one color.
I am quite excited to see your truck once the paint/lift/tires are done, yours is definitely one of my favorite trucks on here. What sort of wheels are you going for, if you don't mind sharing?

For my truck, if it weren't for sentimental value, I would repaint it a totally different color because I generally don't like red vehicles. However, I've had my truck for 14 years and it just wouldn't be my truck if it wasn't red.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I am quite excited to see your truck once the paint/lift/tires are done, yours is definitely one of my favorite trucks on here. What sort of wheels are you going for, if you don't mind sharing?

For my truck, if it weren't for sentimental value, I would repaint it a totally different color because I generally don't like red vehicles. However, I've had my truck for 14 years and it just wouldn't be my truck if it wasn't red.
There is a lot of sentimental value so the choice to go with one solid color wasn’t made lightly. I went back and forth for months to make sure it’s what I wanted.

Wheel choices vary right now. I’ve been looking at a larger offset like 22x12 or 22x14 on a 35” tire since it’s only going to be driven on nice days. But I’ve also been considering a 17” wheel like Raceline, Method, or KMC on a 35” tire also.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a lot of sentimental value so the choice to go with one solid color wasn’t made lightly. I went back and forth for months to make sure it’s what I wanted.

Wheel choices vary right now. I’ve been looking at a larger offset like 22x12 or 22x14 on a 35” tire since it’s only going to be driven on nice days. But I’ve also been considering a 17” wheel like Raceline, Method, or KMC on a 35” tire also.
Truck is coming together nicely.
But my .02c from a Internet stranger, stay away from the 20" wheels, they just don't suit these trucks. A 17" with chubby tires looks "right".
But it's your truck, not ours.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Oklahoma we primarily call them Shopping carts
The shopping cart was invented in Oklahoma City by Sylvan Goldman to increase profits at his grocery stores. At the time women gathered all their goods in hand carried baskets, and he recognized that with a cart he could sell them more stuff. Hence, the proper term is "shopping cart" and all the rest of y'all need to change your vernacular.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The shopping cart was invented in Oklahoma City by Sylvan Goldman to increase profits at his grocery stores. At the time women gathered all their goods in hand carried baskets, and he recognized that with a cart he could sell them more stuff. Hence, the proper term is "shopping cart" and all the rest of y'all need to change your vernacular.
Cool, I didn't know that!

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm biased, but I think 18" wheels are the perfect happy medium between old school and new school. IMO, they look just right when combined with 35" tires and a 6" lift kit. :)
Nah, it needs 15's, 33's, a topper, 2 tone, chrome, and antenna's.

After all that, I would actually drive it (Obviously my idea of style is about 30 years out of date).