Code 24, after trans rebuild .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After getting my 88 back from the shop, the truck was kinda of wanting to turn off while driving and i thought it was the ignition switch

replaced the switch and now that problem went away but now it bogs down rather than shutting off and it throws a 24code

and all this was shortly after i got my trans rebuild from AAMCO.

i’ve read in some places it’s the Engine Computer?
or just had ground straps in the bay.

maybe both?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After getting my 88 back from the shop, the truck was kinda of wanting to turn off while driving and i thought it was the ignition switch

replaced the switch and now that problem went away but now it bogs down rather than shutting off and it throws a 24code

and all this was shortly after i got my trans rebuild from AAMCO.

i’ve read in some places it’s the Engine Computer?
or just had ground straps in the bay.

maybe both?
Found the problem - highlighted in large, yellow font.

The code itself is for a vehicle speed sensor...If you have a 2WD, it's in your ext housing; if a 4WD it's in your transfer case. I don't think your bogging is caused by the VSS, sounds like some sort of engine management issue...If this problem wasn't happening prior to taking your truck to AAMCO, get on the horn with them to see what, if anything, they will do for you.

Meanwhile, look for vacuum leaks, check fuel pressure, grounds, exposed wiring, loose or messed up battery cables or anything else that you could quickly fix on your own.

Reaction score

The code itself is for a vehicle speed sensor...If you have a 2WD, it's in your ext housing; if a 4WD it's in your transfer case. I don't think your bogging is caused by the VSS, sounds like some sort of engine management issue...If this problem wasn't happening prior to taking your truck to AAMCO, get on the horn with them to see what, if anything, they will do for you.

Meanwhile, look for vacuum leaks, check fuel pressure, grounds, exposed wiring, loose or messed up battery cables or anything else that you could quickly fix on your own.

i used the wrong sentence. it used to bog down until i replaced the ignition switch, but now it’ll try to slow down on its own at highway speeds

i contacted AAMCO and im waiting for a response

the truck is a 4WD but the transfer case was swapped long before the rebuild and didn’t have a problem

Reaction score

problem ended up being exposed wires for the sensor, covered em and never had the problem since