Cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I am just looking into VIN and title technicalities with swapping a cab. I would be buying a donor cab from someone (that’s it) and then putting it on my truck. So I assume the VINs would be different? So how does one title the vechile if the truck that needs a cab already has a title/VIN? Thanks!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you don't get the title with the replacement cab you are going to have more grief than it is worth to do the swap. On the other hand, if you do get the title with the new cab is anyone going to look that closely at the frame to see if the vin numbers match?

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I am not totally worried about numbers matching stuff. I am more worried about title issues and such. Why do I need the title with the cab? What do I do with the old one for the truck?

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Well I am not totally worried about numbers matching stuff. I am more worried about title issues and such. Why do I need the title with the cab? What do I do with the old one for the truck?
You need the clear title with the cab because the vehicle will be registered using the VIN that is on the tag by the dashboard. Tampering with that tag is a jailtime and confiscated vehicle offense. You'll no doubt get those that will tell you "oh it's no big deal, nobody's gonna check" - but they're also not the ones that will be on the hook for it when it happens to -you-

Richard

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so what should I do with the old truck title? Just get rid of it? Keep it?

someotherguy

Reaction score
Ok, so what should I do with the old truck title? Just get rid of it? Keep it?
Is the cab junk? Hang onto it for any spare parts/hardware you may end up needing down the road. If you get to the point you eventually need to scrap it, the scrapyard may want the title. It should be exempt by this age but having it handy removes all doubt.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm doing a legal VIN swap. I have titles to both vehicles and both are registered to me. I had to have the state police inspect both vehicles and then I have to cut a section of the firewall and cowl including the VIN tag from one truck into the other. I then have to have the cab inspected again and provide pictures to the state police. They will then give me a form that I submit to the DMV. The form basically states that the cab was damaged and repaired using the VIN that is on the cab.

someotherguy

Reaction score
I'm doing a legal VIN swap. I have titles to both vehicles and both are registered to me. I had to have the state police inspect both vehicles and then I have to cut a section of the firewall and cowl including the VIN tag from one truck into the other. I then have to have the cab inspected again and provide pictures to the state police. They will then give me a form that I submit to the DMV. The form basically states that the cab was damaged and repaired using the VIN that is on the cab.
This sounds legit but also possibly the view of this varies from state to state.

In TX, if a VIN is altered, removed, etc. the state can inspect the vehicle and they will assign a new VIN to it - with a metal foil type sticker applied elsewhere. I've had a bike that was an AZ state-assigned VIN, too.

Or something a bit more extreme than a simple cab swap, a friend that built an extended cab 3500HD wanted to retain his original 3500HD VIN for multiple reasons - not just the clean title, but also registration and commercial usage concerns since the GVWR is indicated in the VIN (4th digit) and the HD's only came single cab for the most part, with a few crew cabs here and there. He took a 3 door extended cab 1500 and chopped it at the A-pillars and floor, grafted it to the cowl of his HD. (@skylark I know you've seen this truck, just posting it for OP and others really)

You must be registered for see images attach

That's some determination! Also building a truck that GM never offered.

Richard

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the cab is not completely useless, the only bad part is I tried to do some rust repair where the cab mounts to the bushing/frame, and now the door won’t shut right on the drivers side, I’m guessing due to the cab being tweaked? So everything else is good in the cab. I just plan to take a bare shell and swap it all over. That’s why I was wondering if keeping the same VIN and such would be possible. Maybe I look into a VIN swap then… that would be pretty nice, as the only different part of the truck I have would be the steel for the cab

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me I would pay someone to fix the work you attempted on your original cab. I also wouldn’t hesitate to swap on a cab and use that vin number. If your in an accident or pulled over as long as your dash vin matches your paperwork you will be fine.