cab lights / hole too large now / options or screwed??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speednuts....now I maybe wont feel like such an idiot trying to explain them next time.

Though I'm an idiot anyhow, I was wrong. This is factory.
You must be registered for see images attach
WOW. From the factory they drilled thru both liners for light??? Man.. if i ever re-do it
Those speed nuts will defintly what i go baxk with

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory is little clip on thread/screw plates..I don't even know what to call them. U shaped, they slide over the edge of the steel, one side has a hole, one side has threads for the screw. Like GM did with all the other hardware.

I dunno what all you have going on for the holes, but should be able to put one of those in.
Those are called Russian fasteners.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Speednuts....now I maybe wont feel like such an idiot trying to explain them next time.

Though I'm an idiot anyhow, I was wrong. This is factory.
Well now that's weird. My '93 doesn't have the center hole punched through both layers of roof, and none were on the '94 either. Haven't had the headliner out of a bunch of cabs with lights so I'm wondering why yours is different.

Roof view of the '94, if you max the pic you can still see the pale yellow paint on the layer of sheetmetal under the roof skin.

Richard

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after some reserch today, theres a small question i have regarding the speed nut / u nut.. whatever u wana call it. Since it recesses and isnt exactly round like a riv nut or the ones that 88gmc used in his write up… what kinda hole do u drill? I wouldnt imagine a round hole would work too well with the square style nut

Attachments

• IMG_8225.png
    IMG_8225.png
    418.1 KB · Views: 4

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely never had anything negative to say about silicone. My hole issue had to do with improper sealing first time
Your hole issue...:biggrin: Did you do that on pupose... funny, liked it.

The (W)hole issue with that silicon sealant is that it has now started to eat away on the metal, eventually when enough steel has turned to rust it will no longer seal.

And by the time it is discovered, that hole is going to be even harder to fix.

There are other products more suitable, like Seam Sealer (PolyUrethane) thats what the OEM use (or used to use atleast) or even MS (Modified Silicone) polymer sealants. Both of those have way better adhesion and sealing capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juniorr08