Bleeding brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zodiac572

Reaction score
Hello everyone, now that ive got the brakes all put togther and adjusted, maybe someone cam answer this, 95 gmc c2500 has abs system , does the truck need to be running to bleed the brakes?

Das Hatt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To bleed the lines/calipers/wheel cylinders, no the truck does not have to be running. To bleed the ABS system you need a scanner tool that is capable of bleeding the ABS system. No other way to properly do it.

zodiac572

Reaction score
To bleed the lines/calipers/wheel cylinders, no the truck does not have to be running. To bleed the ABS system you need a scanner tool that is capable of bleeding the ABS system. No other way to properly do it.
So the brakes are connected to abs system , to bleed the rear drums do i need a scanner tool for it? Its a 95 gmc c2500

Das Hatt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You do not need a scanner tool to bleed the rear brakes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You DO need a scan tool to bleed the rear-brake section of the ABS unit.

So...yeah...scan tool mandatory. See attachment.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 11

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever is listed in the service manual...Tech 2, or perhaps Tech 1.

A '95 should be the EBC310. My Snap-On Solus Pro with 8.2 software will not auto-bleed my '97 K2500 with the EBC310. However, the Solus Pro with 14.2 will auto-bleed my '97. So I have every expectation that a Solus Pro with new enough software will auto bleed a '95.

There's a whole thread with a periodically-updated chart listing which scan tools are confirmed to work with various ABS systems. I took a quick look, but couldn't find it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be sure and let us know what worked or didn't for you so that I can keep the spreadsheet updated.