Bed interchangable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stcroix16

Reaction score
I bought a 1992 GMC 3500HD recently with a dump box, but id like to source a dually box. I'm just wondering if all boxes have the same bolting pattern on the frame 1500-3500HD? Obviously short and long box will be different. Does anyone know the actual bolt pattern for lets say a 1500 long box? I could measure mine once i get the dump box off and compare.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

Your dump bed truck is almost certainly a C&C - cab and chassis - which uses a different frame than the regular pickups. The profile of it is essentially flat once it kicks up behind the cab, the rails are ladder-straight, and 34" apart. They are 4" longer than regular pickup trucks as far as wheelbase goes. This is a universal arrangement that allows for any number of work-style beds to be bolted up. Dump bed, flat bed, utility box, wrecker unit, etc. Another thing the C&C trucks almost always get is a narrower rear axle - by about 8". If your inside rear tires are directly in line with your fronts, you have the narrow rear axle.

So with all that said, a normal dually pickup bed will not bolt right up. You could make mounts for it, but there will be a larger gap between the cab and front of the bed, and the rear wheels will sit deep inside the fenders.

There's a number of ways to go about this and plenty of people have done it, but as you can see there's a lot of details to cover.

Beyond all that.. post pics! We love pics. Is it a real 3500HD (straight axle front end, 19.5" 10 lug wheels) or an 8 lug 3500 1 ton?

Richard

stcroix16

Reaction score
Thanks for your in depth response. Based on this information, i may just fix up the current dump bed and fab removeable walls.

Yeah it has the i beam up front and a 2.5 ton in back. From what i've read, these trucks came with a factory dana 80 in the back and some had the Rockwell c103.

I believe this truck has the Rockwell c103, ill post photos if someone wants to confirm this. There really isnt much information that ive found on the web pertaining to parts for these dinosaurs. Any information on these axles would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240419_165802.jpg
    20240419_165802.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240420_080107.jpg
    20240420_080107.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240420_080506.jpg
    20240420_080506.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 5

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your in depth response. Based on this information, i may just fix up the current dump bed and fab removeable walls.

Yeah it has the i beam up front and a 2.5 ton in back. From what i've read, these trucks came with a factory dana 80 in the back and some had the Rockwell c103.

I believe this truck has the Rockwell c103, ill post photos if someone wants to confirm this. There really isnt much information that ive found on the web pertaining to parts for these dinosaurs. Any information on these axles would be very appreciated.
That is indeed the Rockwell; the early trucks got them. 3500HD production began in 1991. Not sure what the year model breakdown is on when they switched to Dana 80 or if it was a supply issue.

For parts, places like Rockauto, NAPAonline, etc. will be your best bet - I haven't looked at NAPA's site in a while but you used to actually be able to select 3500HD for the vehicle. Otherwise, any listings in the 3500 category that show details like 15,000 GVWR will pertain to your truck.

Richard

stcroix16

Reaction score
That is indeed the Rockwell; the early trucks got them. 3500HD production began in 1991. Not sure what the year model breakdown is on when they switched to Dana 80 or if it was a supply issue.

For parts, places like Rockauto, NAPAonline, etc. will be your best bet - I haven't looked at NAPA's site in a while but you used to actually be able to select 3500HD for the vehicle. Otherwise, any listings in the 3500 category that show details like 15,000 GVWR will pertain to your truck.

Richard
Thanks Richard, ill keep this in mind

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be one of
You must be registered for see images attach
these.