Any idea on this under dash plugs use? 93 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
During my sound deadener install and new carpet install, I noticed this plug under the dash on this 93’ 5.7 truck just hanging there
Curious if anyone might have an idea as to its source or use? Nothing seems to be working improperly within the cab ,but it looks like it should or could be plugged into something. I looked around with the length of the pluh to try and find the other end or module it might go to ?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During my sound deadener install and carpet change I noticed this plug under the dash on this 93’ 5.7 truck just hanging there
Curious is anyone might have an idea as to its source/ use? Nothing seems to not function but it looks like it should bad could be plugged into something. I sounded around the length of the area to try and find the other end or module it might go to ?

Based on the shape of the connector and the color codes, according to the '93 FSM for electrical troubleshooting we have a match:

The name of the connector is C226A, and it plugs into the Cruise Control Switch. And supposedly this is done in the vicinity of your steering column.

Q: Have you tried to use your cruise control since installing the sound deadener?

The answer to this may help to explain why you noticed no loss of functionality with this disconnected.

Let us know if this was the correct answer.

Cheers --

Attachments

• '93 Cruise Control Switch C226A - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrolet_CK_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    '93 Cruise Control Switch C226A - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrolet_CK_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the clutch arm have a four wire circuit attached to disconnect the cruise?

Good question!

And because of the way I cropped a previous screen snap we couldn't see how the clutch & brake switches are wired/look like. Check this out:

The benefit to doing all this remotely is that we can shrink our entire planet down to a small GMT400-centric
virtual neighborhood. But at the same time the drawback is that the 3 of us aren't in a workshop
shoulder to shoulder over some paper prints and/or hardcopies of the FSM. For that time-honored
tradition is how so much stuff gets hammered out. (Insert lots of finger pointing & tracing while stating
your theories...and also all the coffee stains on the wiring diagrams. :0)

Anyway, the 4-prong plug is for the cruise control hand switch. (C226A)
The cruise control brake switch is a 2-pronger. (C288 C286)
And if you are lucky enough have the clutch pedal, the clutch switch is a 2-pronger wired in series with the brake switch. (C227A)
And the way this is wired explains why depressing either the brake -or- clutch pedal disengages the cruise function.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you miss the clutch pedal in the photo #2 ? The question was for the OP , look and see, it may be just that easy.
These connector questions 99 % of time it's home is within the reach of the orphan plug if you actually look at it. If it's length is X than it most likely lives within that X radius.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you miss the clutch pedal in the photo #2 ?

Not at all. The only thing the chore truck doesn't have that
I wish it did is a NV4500 or better. The existing 4L80-E
draws no negative attention to itself, but if it didn't have
the 454 in front of it I wouldn't have bought it. (But I would have
bought the same truck if it was a 350/NV4500.)

...But I digress. I considered the OP's question a free practice
session in the wiring diagrams, and as a result I now know a bit
more about the cruise control wiring than I did before.

And my unstated goal is to show new members of the community
just how useful the FSM wiring diagrams can be. And demonstrate
how you can brute force the .pdf with a 'Ctrl F' (Find) function and
find obscure stuff like this in literally seconds.

No doubt a good 95+% of what I write is not for all the heavy hitters
who've been in here for years and already know the GMT400 ropes.

So, no I didn't miss the clutch pedal in that photo. To me this is the
Holy Grail of truckdom.

Cheers --

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Occam's Razor in Automotive Science. Try the simple answer first.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems it might just be provisioned in place as part of the harness, in case the truck ended up being an auto or with cruise , it’s a manual truck with Zero cruise control . I’ve looked within reach and See no place for the plug (X) to go within reach .

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems it might just be provisioned in place as part of the harness, in case the truck ended up being an auto or with cruise , it’s a manual truck with Zero cruise control . I’ve looked within reach and See no place for the plug (X) to go within reach .

Given the relative popularity of the cruise control option your explanation makes perfect sense.

A lot like the provision for the cigar lighter wiring in every wiring harness, whether or not the
original buyer ponied up for this $25 option in the lower trim level.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given the relative popularity of the cruise control option your explanation makes perfect sense.
As I continue learning the tbi engine .. these Plugs harnesses ..They keep appearing lol , I’ll make an educated guess but I could be wrong with this particular plug .
It was hidden from plain view but appeared to me as I was doing a big 3 upgrade.
It looks to just be a provisioned plug ( possibly) if I was to guess for the charcoal canister purge solenoid valve that started to use a purge valve in 94’
I just redid the missing canister as everyone knows and I ran the purge line direct to tbi vacuum as mentioned . It Was stated that the 93 tbi did not use an electronic purge valve .. that only started it 94’ and I kinda verified that when I seen a 94’ at the bone yard
Seeing if that might be what this plug is with factory old tape seems to be .

Wish I had it but I just threw away a 94 purge valve I took From the bone yard that would match the plug end and solve the theory -

The wires are pink/ black stripe and brown , pretty sure it’s just provisional within the harness but not needed .. correct me if I’m wrong