Adjustable tie rods?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
I’m feeling kind of frustrated and confused past few days and figured I’d ask yall how I should handle this situation.I brought my 96 Chevy Silverado K1500 to a very reputable automotive shop here in Elberta,Alabama to get an alignment. They called me after it only being in there for 2 hours and said when they tightened the passenger axle hub nut,That it pulled the CV axle out of its socket cause it was “Too short”, I never had any issues with the CV’s on install or driving,I told them to go ahead and replace it with the correct one I need then. My wife picked the truck up when it was ready and on the receipt they stated I needed “Adjustable tie rods”. They also wrote that they got the Alignment “As close as possible”.They didn’t include the paper with the alignment #’s that I normally see people get after said alignment.Truck drives better but still kinda wonky.This is a shop where we bring our family’s personal vehicles and a entire fleet of service trucks,around 30 or so trucks from my wife’s electrical business she owns.Has anyone heard of “Adjustable tie rods”.I thought the ones I bought were “Adjustable” because it has a sleeve in the middle like normal and you just tighten the bolt when it’s good.Any and help would be very much appreciated!!

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is an inner and outer tie rod and the adjustable sleeve that either lengthens or shortens the entire assembly. They need to tell you what the phrase "adjustable tie rods" means. Are they saying the sleeves are frozen with rust and will not turn? That is my guess. Did you ask for the old cv axle back? You should have.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Sounds like they may be under new ownership or something...

Nothing about that sounded right.
I know right,They have been in business for decades,Prob since the 50’s but the son recently took over and now their reviews have gone downhill Majorly! Long story short,I brought them the new parts,(Detroit axle) steering components,Tire rotation and needed the alignment of course.Charged me $200 for new passenger CV axle that I feel like I shouldn’t have been charged for their F up.The bill was $1200.The truck drives better and it turns both ways just fine but I really don’t know what to do..I don’t want to go make a fuss for nothing though either

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
There is an inner and outer tie rod and the adjustable sleeve that either lengthens or shortens the entire assembly. They need to tell you what the phrase "adjustable tie rods" means. Are they saying the sleeves are frozen with rust and will not turn? That is my guess. Did you ask for the old cv axle back? You should have.
The tie rods were fine besides the boots wouldn’t hold grease anymore,No rust or nothing.I didn’t think about asking for the CV axle back,But then again like I said,The wife picked the truck up.I seen the receipt when she got home and I’m like wtf,$1200 and still need adjustable tie rods?! Rock auto said the (Detroit axle) fit my lifted truck.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. Their saying you need new tie rods because of the joint ends being bad because the boots will not hold grease, correct? They may well be needed if that is the case.

2. Lifted truck? You did not say that in the beginning. Depending on the lift, the cv axle may well have been too short. This whole story and responses would have taken a different turn had we known about the lift and how much lift. The other cv axle may be next. If you lift a truck, you change the stress all the steering and suspension components go thru.