AC leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
No real place to put this. Whats chances thr whole compressor casing could leak around where the halves meet? Im really doubting it but it was foamed up along the seam of the case other day but im thinkin maybe the refrigerant just leaked out of the connection n followed the corrosion around the body.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Well glad i asked. Thanks yall. I do. Have a new one here just dunno if it should go on the esky (leakin around seams) or my 98 k1500 (mysteriously stopped workin). Probly esky.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tightened the case bolts on my compressor, then added some stop leak. It slowed the leak down to a trickle. Yes, this is a temporary fix, and didn't completely stop the leak. It also took a little while for the stop leak to work. The case bolts are under the clutch and a little hard to get to, but it does help to slow the leak.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tightened the case bolts on my compressor, then added some stop leak. It slowed the leak down to a trickle. Yes, this is a temporary fix, and didn't completely stop the leak. It also took a little while for the stop leak to work. The case bolts are under the clutch and a little hard to get to, but it does help to slow the leak.
I know you gotta do what you gotta do. But please be careful with the stop leak stuff.

I have been in situations at work with that stuff and it wont flush out and have to replace the whole AC system to be able to get it fixed right

And dont take that as an attack on what you did. I just wanted to be informative

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know you gotta do what you gotta do. But please be careful with the stop leak stuff.

I have been in situations at work with that stuff and it wont flush out and have to replace the whole AC system to be able to get it fixed right

And dont take that as an attack on what you did. I just wanted to be informative
Yea, stop leak is never a good thing. About 12 years ago, the compressor blow in my truck ( same truck). At that time, the only thing they didn't replace was the evap core. I kind of figure that's what I will have to do again. I know the tubes in the condenser core are small and hard to flush out. I just don't want to have to pull the dash to swap out the evap.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Welp inatalled compressor on caddy. Fail. Not blowin cold enough. Its cooler but not cold. Then after shuttin truck off heard it bleedin off pressure in area around battery. Thinkin i may need new condenser. No obvious leaks though. May just go ahead n get new condenser and lines.

Last edited: