Ac control module burning up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LikeABoat

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this info to hopefully help someone in the future. I have a 1999 K2500 Burb, last week in the way to work I smelled electronic burning and my AC stopped, module lights out, and air only blowing at floor. I ordered a replacement control module from Amazon and did a couple days of reading. Found the post documenting how to modify the circuit to be more robust. Took my original control module and did the PCB mod, connected it, everything was working until I pushed the AC button, then more smoke came out. Took it apart and found 2 separate area is the PCB tracks that had burned and separated. Back to the internet for more clues. Found someone talking about the draw on the LT green wire, if too high it could cause this issue also. Found a schematic and discovered the LT green wire is the pressure switch at the compressor. My switch went bad last summer and I just jumped it. I checked my work from last summer and found my jumper loop had come in taped and was laying on a bare spot on the valve cover. I retaped and tie-wrapped the jumpers connector, installed my Amazon control module and I’m back in business. Hope this helps someone.