98 C1500 PassLock issues .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex

Reaction score
Good morning , long time lurker first time post . Acquired 98 c1500 2wd v6 auto few months ago & slowly been working on her . We are down to a last item - Passlock . When I got the truck steering column was destroyed by the ignition lock by previous owner chasing pass lock issues . Got another used column off of 98 Tahoe along with the pass lock module - installed & tried to do the relearn procedure millions of times with no avail . Said to myself ok let’s try the resistor trick - nope nothing . (If I let the truck sit over night it will start in the morning and run 2-3 mins before pass lock shuts it down & then it’s just a crank and start for a sec then dies ) . So I said you know what , I’m sending it to BlackBear to have passlock removed . Got my pcm back from them , same issue !!! If I take 10a security fuse out it runs all day long but is not drivable due to transmission codes - I assume some of the transmission components run on the same circuit . I am at wits end with this truck and surely someone has been in the same boat as me . The way the truck sits now passlock sensor off the steering column is removed and 3 wires that run to it is bare ( don’t ask me why , it’s been a nightmare) . Is there anything else I can do besides taking a match to it ? Truck is not worth taking to a shop & I am fairly savvy with electronics but this one has me puzzled .

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Only thing I can figure, is the column(and ignition switch) and passlock box are still incompatible with the PCM since they're from different trucks. I didn't have anything like that happen on my '99 Burb; once I had the passlock function delete done on the PCM it starts fine. But all parts were stock and from the same truck.

Alex

Reaction score
Only thing I can figure, is the column(and ignition switch) and passlock box are still incompatible with the PCM since they're from different trucks. I didn't have anything like that happen on my '99 Burb; once I had the passlock function delete done on the PCM it starts fine. But all parts were stock and from the same truck.
Part numbers were identical , I made sure of that when I pulled the column & passlock module (they came off the same truck) . BlackBear tune had no effect on the issue at all . Surely by this time someone has a better work around that nightmare of a system lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Part numbers were identical , I made sure of that when I pulled the column & passlock module (they came off the same truck) . BlackBear tune had no effect on the issue at all . Surely by this time someone has a better work around that nightmare of a system lol
One would hope.....
I'm not sure what software the shop that did the deletion used; they didn't work on it where I could see. But it was almost 5 years ago, and we daily drove the Burb for 3 years after the work (till I got my crew cab, cause it has AC).
Good luck!

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
One would hope.....
I'm not sure what software the shop that did the deletion used; they didn't work on it where I could see. But it was almost 5 years ago, and we daily drove the Burb for 3 years after the work (till I got my crew cab, cause it has AC).
Good luck!
they most likely used hp tuners or efi live maybe jet dst I do not know of any others that are on the spot so to speak there are mail order options but they clearly did not do that

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm suspicious that your problem is something other than PassLock, but may share that 10A "Security" fuse circuit...

Either that or BlackBear didn't actually disable PassLock in the tune for some reason...

I'm under the impression that if PassLock is disabled in the tune, the PCM doesn't even look for a signal from rest of that system and should be completely unaffected by it.

Alex

Reaction score
I'm suspicious that your problem is something other than PassLock, but may share that 10A "Security" fuse circuit...

Either that or BlackBear didn't actually disable PassLock in the tune for some reason...

I'm under the impression that if PassLock is disabled in the tune, the PCM doesn't even look for a signal from rest of that system and should be completely unaffected by it.
My first thought was BlackBear didn’t actually tune it out , I contacted them but have not heard back yet . I would have no proof whether it was disabled or not and mistakes do occur during programming , one thing to notice is security light is on solid now where as before on some occasions it did blink but would never take on the re learn procedure .

Alex

Reaction score
Got response back from BlackBear & tune is definitely in the pcm so my issue likely lies else where . What can possibly be killing the truck then that has the same effect as of it is passlock related ? No codes pop up when it does shut off . Runs ok with security fuse removed but won’t move well ( throws transmission codes because I guess some of the transmission components share same circuit) . Does anyone by chance have that 10a security fuse circuit diagram ?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone by chance have that 10a security fuse circuit diagram ?

If you haven't already, I'd download the GM factory service manuals for your truck. I'd imagine that information is in there somewhere. They're all available to download here for free in PDF format, here's a link to the thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

If you don't see the year you need in the first post, keep scrolling. Other members have added missing years over time in later posts.