'96+ Vortec Heavy Duty Air Filter Options? (Gas Engines)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was recently brought to my attention in another thread that the ACDelco A1301C heavy duty air filters for the '96+ Vortec gas engines have been discontinued, and stock is drying up rapidly. I'd like to continue running the larger diameter HD filters in my '97s, but am debating what brand to buy in the future.

I see RockAuto has heavy duty options from Bosch, Champ/Luber-Finer, Fram, Wix, and Hastings/Baldwin. They range from about $13 (Bosch) to $24 (Hastings/Baldwin) each.

My first instinct was to go with Wix, but I've heard that they're moving production for a lot of items to China. However, from my quick eBay research looking at pictures of boxes, it looks like that specific Wix filter (46441) is still made in the USA. The Baldwin/Hastings AF521 appears to be made in the USA as well, so that's a definite contender as far as I'm concerned. Fram CA8037 appears to be made in Mexico, and the Bosch 5493WS comes from China. I couldn't find a country of origin for the Champ/Luber-Finer AF1301.

Which would you choose out of these options, and why? Also if there are any other options available somewhere besides RockAuto that would be better, I'm open to suggestions. I really want to stick to the larger diameter heavy duty filters, specifically OEM paper style. Not interested in an oiled gauze drop-in like a K&N.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The ACDelco is still available from Rockauto.

I think I'd go for a Baldwin. I've been using their oil filters on my Volvos, although the cartridge style for the S70 was Chinese. The can style for the 850 is US made. They were part of Clarecor, but Parker bought Clarecor. They've phased out the Hastings brand that was also part of Clarecor. The ebay pictures I've seen of Baldwin air filters say Made in USA.

I've used Champion Labs filters, but they're cheap filters. Sometime US made, and sometimes not. The air filter for my Saturn was Chinese, but I think the air filter for my Buick is US... but obviously less pleats than the Wix, I bought. I've used more of their oil filters than air, since I don't go through air filters very fast.

You might look into the Baldwin RS3735 as I still see them on ebay.

I've considered a Baldwin air filter myself, several times, but it seem they usually add another warehouse to my Rockauto order.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ACDelco is still available from Rockauto.

More Information for ACDELCO A1301C

For the time being, but they only have one single filter in stock and I'd guess that's probably the last one. They have six packs available but I really don't need that many sitting around. Looking for other options that will (hopefully) be around for a while.

I appreciate the input though, thanks. I'm also leaning towards the Baldwin at this point.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the time being, but they only have one single filter in stock and I'd guess that's probably the last one. They have six packs available but I really don't need that many sitting around. Looking for other options that will (hopefully) be around for a while.

I appreciate the input though, thanks. I'm also leaning towards the Baldwin at this point.
How many miles do you run them?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a Baldwin one this year to replace a 5 year old Wix one and it was still made in USA, BTW also bought quite a few Bosch oil filters that were US made while still available, same exact filter as the Wix use to be.