92 diesel to 96 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukebenoit

Reaction score
I have a 1996 k 1500 5 speed manual single cab step side short bed four-wheel drive 5.7
I found a 1992 6.5 torbo diesel 5 speed manual 3/4 longbed four-wheel drive 5 speed manual, donor vehicle. For the experienced personnel can I use my half ton frame and bolt on the 3/4 ton diesel drivetrain underneath shortening the drive shaft? Daily driver not work truck. ? Do I use the 3/4 ton frame or will the half ton frame support the bolt on? Willing to go either way just want intelligent replies

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can physically bolt almost everything under the hood from the 6.5 into the 96 1500, except the wiring harness. It certainly won't directly bolt in, the OBD2 ECM won't communicate, the dash gauges wil be inop as will the speedometer. You will need a new 25 gallon diesel fuel tank, but should be able to retain the diesel filler neck.

There is a conversion u-joint when using the 9.5 14 bolt in place of the 10-bolt axle. I figure it can be used in reverse with a custom shortened 2500 driveshat to the 1500 8.5 10 bolt. Be aware the torque produced by the diesel will make that junk 1500 rear axle have a drastically shortened life.

Long and short... it would be much easier to find an OBD2 diesel to swap into an OBD2 1500.

Last edited: