91 Chevy 350 Weak spark and cluster issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-1-0-N-

Reaction score
Hello all, I purchased a 91 chevy pickup with a 5.7 350 automatic single cab long bed drove it for a little bit before parking the vehicle and it hasn't started since, I've replaced coil, plug wires, distributor, icm, ecm, ignition switch, wire to the coil from the icm consistent orange spark from coil and very slow spark from plug in the wire to the distributor truck also has issues with the cluster if I have the alternator plugged in and plug in the cluster the alternator starts smoking also if I pin the A and B from my obd1 my alternator smokes. My truck came with a trailer brake box so I removed it thinking the wiring might be an issue I've also been looking for the cabin grounds thinking that might be an issue but have spent hours looking through the manuals only to find nothing about it. I'm stumped on the truck and frustrated it cranks fine but no start. I'm also curious about my lighting, I have no left blinker and when I turn the hazards on I get a steady left hazard but no right? I've replaced all main ground straps at the engine but am missing the filler neck strap. Any help would be appreciated as I'm losing my mind and motivation thanks. -Dion

Attachments

• 20240708_161411.jpg
    20240708_161411.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240803_173810.jpg
    20240803_173810.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 7

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did it run OK before you parked it ? If picture is recent plug wires need to be routed better. And what is yellow wire for ? Will ignition fire hei spark tester ? Have you looked in fuel and emissions manual at symptoms ? And that will/may give you a diagnostic starting point . Need to get one thing fixed before moving on to next problem.

D-1-0-N-

Reaction score
The truck did have a rough idle before parking it, I did reroute the wires that picture was after id put them in. Yellow wire was a test light I had made. I have not looked in that section of the manual no, I figured it would be in the electronics for the cabin.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel and emissions manual will help you more than I could type all day, go to symptoms for your complaint and it will take you in the direction you need to go. As with any computer controlled drive train, good grounds and 12v connections are needed, if grounds /hots are corroded ,clean them, start with battery connection first and then to engine grounds, those locations can be found in electrical manual. By your description above the problem could very well be a ground problem especially your statement about aldl and slow spark. So yes I would definitely ck/clean grounds. Sorry for slow response been working at my farm cleaning up storm damage. Keep us informed and if any additional questions just ask, I'm sure someone will help. Not sure if you know, you can download service manuals here just go to sticky thread above its titled 88-98 service manuals and select manuals applicable to your truck. Best of luck

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I purchased a 91 chevy pickup with a 5.7 350 automatic single cab long bed drove it for a little bit before parking the vehicle and it hasn't started since, I've replaced coil, plug wires, distributor, icm, ecm, ignition switch, wire to the coil from the icm consistent orange spark from coil and very slow spark from plug in the wire to the distributor truck also has issues with the cluster if I have the alternator plugged in and plug in the cluster the alternator starts smoking also if I pin the A and B from my obd1 my alternator smokes.
Holy crap, that's all ONE GIANT RUN-ON SENTENCE.

Have you ever replaced a distributor before, and did the engine run afterwards? Did you do any diagnosis on the parts before you replaced them? What do you mean by "slow spark"? Electricity travels nearly the speed of light.

What is the battery voltage? Has the alternator been tested? Many parts stores will test an alternator if you remove it and bring it to them. It's not the best way to test an alternator...but better than nothing.

it cranks fine but no start.
What is the fuel pressure at prime? Do the injectors spray fuel when the engine is cranking?

Have you checked to see if the spark plugs are fouled? As said, verify the ignition secondary voltage using a spark-tester calibrated for HEI.

I'm also curious about my lighting, I have no left blinker and when I turn the hazards on I get a steady left hazard but no right?
Have you inspected the light bulbs for the blinker/hazards?