88 chevy stalling and shifting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88chevyindian

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a 88 chevy k1500 i bought about 4 years ago. I drove on the original transmission until it died right around 200k miles. Ever since then it has been pain.

I am on my third rebuild right now. I got the truck back about a month ago and it has been running fine, even took a couple 2 hour highway trips on it with no issues. Until today.

I drove 2 hours away on the highway with minimal weight and had the truck in overdrive. I hit the trans oil pan with a temperature gun when i got to my destination and it was at 215. I then drove back in drive and the pan was at 220 when i checked it - which is weird, shouldn't it stay cooler when it is not in overdrive? From this point I though i started noticing some sporadic hard / delayed shifts.

I just took the truck back out for a short drive and it is driving horribly. constant hard and delayed shifts. the truck was stalling when i came to stop and then when put into gear from park - unless i would start gassing it right away when i put it in drive. this happened before my last trans burned up on me.

any help would be appreciated. the trans in my truck right now is under warranty (although its about an hour away)

RoyBob

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does the fluid look like ? Is it clean Red or smell burnt and dark ? Have you adjusted the TV Cable If its not set correct it will Not shift properly
There are several vids on the setting . I installed a extra cooler on mine Mad a big difference Also sounds like it may be stuck in lock up
You must be registered for see images attach
But i also have a 2500 Stall

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a 88 chevy k1500 i bought about 4 years ago. I drove on the original transmission until it died right around 200k miles. Ever since then it has been pain.

I am on my third rebuild right now. I got the truck back about a month ago and it has been running fine, even took a couple 2 hour highway trips on it with no issues. Until today.

I drove 2 hours away on the highway with minimal weight and had the truck in overdrive. I hit the trans oil pan with a temperature gun when i got to my destination and it was at 215. I then drove back in drive and the pan was at 220 when i checked it - which is weird, shouldn't it stay cooler when it is not in overdrive? From this point I though i started noticing some sporadic hard / delayed shifts.

I just took the truck back out for a short drive and it is driving horribly. constant hard and delayed shifts. the truck was stalling when i came to stop and then when put into gear from park - unless i would start gassing it right away when i put it in drive. this happened before my last trans burned up on me.

any help would be appreciated. the trans in my truck right now is under warranty (although its about an hour away)
Did the same shop do your previous rebuild as did this one? Was the Torque converter replaced?

Did you have a bench build done or did the shop also do the removal and reinstallation, TV cable set up/ etc?

Take it back to the shop...If it's under warranty, don't do a thing to it...What's wrong with it doesn't matter as you won't be messing with it anyway...Simply relay the symptoms/problems to the tech/builder so he can start to trouble shoot/orient toward solving the problem...Sooner you get it back to them, the sooner you'll have it back, hopefully all problems fixed.

No builder is perfect, least of all me but if he stands behind his work like I do, you won't have any problems.

Last edited: