700R4 not shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyled1311

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 383 stroker, put it back in the truck and now I'm having an issue with my trans(700R4). It shifts from 1st to second but just revs instead of shifting into third gear. Did we forget something when we put it back together? Fluid is full, checked several times, kickdown cable was unattached, we reconnected that. Any ideas are appreciated.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my 383 stroker, put it back in the truck and now I'm having an issue with my trans(700R4). It shifts from 1st to second but just revs instead of shifting into third gear. Did we forget something when we put it back together? Fluid is full, checked several times, kickdown cable was unattached, we reconnected that. Any ideas are appreciated.
If you're seeing a false-neutral condition in 3rd, trans has to come back out. Either one or more turbine shaft sealing rings were cut or you smoked the 3-4 clutch pack due to insufficient line pressure rise (TV cable, probably)

Kyled1311

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I left the trans in the truck and just pulled the motor when I did the rebuild, had no issues previously with the trans, any idea how this would happen?

Kyled1311

Reaction score
Would it be worth to get a new TV cable, put that in and try it before pulling the trans? It's a lowrider and I don't have a lift so I'm trying to avoid pulling the trans if at all possible.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth to get a new TV cable, put that in and try it before pulling the trans? It's a lowrider and I don't have a lift so I'm trying to avoid pulling the trans if at all possible.
Id def buy a new cable for when it goes back in but if you already tried monkeying with the cable that's on it now and no change, something's very wrong with the 3-4 clutch and/or 2-3 apply circuit. Even a mal-adjusted cable should give you 3rd gear, even if it's weak, soft or slipping. Neutral in 3rd in a 700R when gears 1 and 2 are present is either wiped clutch pack or massive apply circuit leak.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try adjusting the cable and performing a pressure test to validate your adjustments are correct. See these instructions and get yourself a transmission pressure gauge (no 700R4/200-4R owner should be without one)...Conduct the pressure test per the linked instructions until you're within the ranges in the instructions. Then take for a test drive...If it's still neutral in 3rd gear, trans has to come out.