700R4 behind LS 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
Planning a 5.3 swap into my 90 C1500 has been going on forever, to long in fact! I've been having zero luck finding a 2WD 4L60E that isn't new and my budget won't allow new. 2WD transmissions seem to be near impossible to find in my area.

So in my infinite wisdom I'm planning on using my pretty darn solid 700R4. Should I plan on any valve body changes? I seem to remember there is a different flex plate to be used??? My what I think is an 2003 5.3 does not have one of the trans bolt holes drilled or tapped. I 'think' it's the upper right hole??? Thinking It should be drilled and tapped???

I will need to switch from DBW to a DBC throttle body, cruise control hookup TV cable etc. I seem to remember there is a different flex plate to be used??? Where is everybody sourcing the throttle, cruise,TV cables from? Any brackets needed?

Just get me pointed in the right direction and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Ken

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s no issue to run without the one bolt hole that isn’t drilled. Get a LS to old school conversion flexplate. Bow tie overdrive sells the kit to make the TV cable adapt to the LS drive by cable throttle body. Be sure to check your transmission line pressure readings as soon as you get it running. If the TV cable adjustment isn’t correct it can burn up the trans in mere minutes.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning a 5.3 swap into my 90 C1500 has been going on forever, to long in fact! I've been having zero luck finding a 2WD 4L60E that isn't new and my budget won't allow new. 2WD transmissions seem to be near impossible to find in my area.

So in my infinite wisdom I'm planning on using my pretty darn solid 700R4. Should I plan on any valve body changes? I seem to remember there is a different flex plate to be used??? My what I think is an 2003 5.3 does not have one of the trans bolt holes drilled or tapped. I 'think' it's the upper right hole??? Thinking It should be drilled and tapped???

I will need to switch from DBW to a DBC throttle body, cruise control hookup TV cable etc. I seem to remember there is a different flex plate to be used??? Where is everybody sourcing the throttle, cruise,TV cables from? Any brackets needed?

Just get me pointed in the right direction and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Ken
No need to tap for the 12 oclock bolt hole location. Insofar as valve body mods, Id install the Transgo SK700 Jr shift kit and Sonnax TV Plunger and Sleeve kit to address sticky TV valve syndrome and poor line rise, respectively.

You can take deep dive into the mechanical shift calibration of these units via my 700R4 Valve Body videos where I go into all the hydraulic mods one can do, depending on application and shift feel preferences.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to use this diagram and then fabricate some brackets to hold the cable in the right position.

Attachments

• IMG_7121.jpeg
    IMG_7121.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 6