4L80e Cooler Line Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 C2500 4L80e with auxiliary cooler

I am getting ready to replace my transmission cooler lines but have a question. My transmission has the flared lines with fittings. The replacement lines I purchased are quick connects, but two different styles. I don’t know which quick connect to purchase for the transmission.

Factory lines on transmission case:
You must be registered for see images attach

Factory auxiliary cooler quick connect:

Replacement lines from Inline Tube all have this flare:

Replacement line from Sunsong has this flare:

RockAuto lists several different quick connects for 96+.

The Inline Tube kit is 3/8. The original lines and Sunsong are 5/16.

I’m not familiar with quick connects besides the coolant quick connect in the intake. Everyone’s favorite!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I am getting ready to replace my transmission cooler lines but have a question. My transmission has the flared lines with fittings. The replacement lines I purchased are quick connects, but two different styles. I don’t know which quick connect to purchase for the transmission.

Factory lines on transmission case:

Factory auxiliary cooler quick connect:

Replacement lines from Inline Tube all have this flare:

Replacement line from Sunsong has this flare:

RockAuto lists several different quick connects for 96+.

I’m not familiar with quick connects besides the coolant quick connect in the intake. Everyone’s favorite!
Be glad you are not familiar with those dumb garbage quick connects. EVERYTHING transmission and oil cooler have those leaky POS things on my Express van. Dry so far after replacing the orings with appropriately sized red silicone o'rings but have my doubts. They leak in a year or two with the stock black rubber o'rings here in this heat. The heat just cooks the stock o'rings and they end up hardening and losing tension as well as cracking and leaking.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the original tubes are 5/16, upgrading to 3/8 is nice, but you'll also need to replace the fittings in the transmission along with the fittings in the radiator and aux. cooler.

Sure you want to get that involved?

WHY are you replacing the original cooler tubes? What's wrong with them?

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the original tubes are 5/16, upgrading to 3/8 is nice, but you'll also need to replace the fittings in the transmission along with the fittings in the radiator and aux. cooler.

Sure you want to get that involved?

WHY are you replacing the original cooler tubes? What's wrong with them?
I was going to replace the fitting but could not source them locally and the hydraulic shop didn’t have what I needed. Thinking ahead I ordered the Sunsong lines and they arrived at the same time as the Inline Tube.

I would have gotten that involved if I were able to source the parts.

They were rusty and one had developed a pin hole leak.
The Sunsong one looks like the QD clip would just sit in that groove making me thing both ought to work fine if your truck already had them.
They do work great, that’s what I ended up installing. They even came with new looking over the rubber sections.