4L60e slips when hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZANJO

Reaction score
I have a 97 gmc suburban 5.7L. W/the 4L60e trans. The other day noticed harder shifts into 2nd. Then a day or so later it started acting like it was a misfire with slip and no rev. got it back to a parking lot checked fluid was old but full. No leaks. It sat for a day i get in and rev. Works,drive the whole 9. Will a trans. Filter and fluid help or just throw a used in it? Sure would love some good advice. Thanks.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 gmc suburban 5.7L. W/the 4L60e trans. The other day noticed harder shifts into 2nd. Then a day or so later it started acting like it was a misfire with slip and no rev. got it back to a parking lot checked fluid was old but full. No leaks. It sat for a day i get in and rev. Works,drive the whole 9. Will a trans. Filter and fluid help or just throw a used in it? Sure would love some good advice. Thanks.
Are you slipping when shifting into 3rd gear?

ZANJO

Reaction score
Slips while in 3rd. Once it warms up.and no rev. Once hot too. But cold works fine. Don't know how long since i have'nt tried it on the road yet. But if i sit for awhile it will get me back just slowly...15-20 mph.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slips while in 3rd. Once it warms up.and no rev. Once hot too. But cold works fine. Don't know how long since i have'nt tried it on the road yet. But if i sit for awhile it will get me back just slowly...15-20 mph.
Time to pull and overhaul it.

ZANJO

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i'm having a used with 109k installed next week. Crossing my fingers and toes. Not spending 2,500-3,000 for a rebuilt. Can't. And recommendations on the used install? Flush don't flush? just fill with a new filter? I.d.k

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i'm having a used with 109k installed next week. Crossing my fingers and toes. Not spending 2,500-3,000 for a rebuilt. Can't. And recommendations on the used install? Flush don't flush? just fill with a new filter? I.d.k
Before installation, I'd remove the pan so you can see what's at the bottom - that more than anything will indicate whether or not it's functional or has problems. Then change the filter, ohm the solenoids and install a Transgo SK4L60E shift kit along with a Sonnax 4L60E LB1 boost valve.

Hydraulic corrections and improvements will help the unit last longer and perform as you expect.

Lastly, install a NEW torque converter - don't reuse an old one, who knows how much contaminants are inside of it.

You're doing the installation?

ETA: Flush your cooler lines and transmission cooler! Ensure you remove all crud from the system. Otherwise, gunk/burnt clutch material may partially or fully restrict return charge and destroy the rear gear train...

Last edited:

ZANJO

Reaction score
I am not doing the install, the shop i hired says they will check the pan and do a hot flush as well as a additive called lube gaurd anti shutter.