1999 7.4L missing due to burned plug wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LikeABoat

Reaction score
Putting this out there to hopefully help others. Just replaced the plug wires ( and plugs ) for the 3rd time in 2 years. Will run great and then start to have a miss that seems to start at idle and then really shows up while at low RPM's in OD and slightly tipping in to the throttle. I've made sure that all wires were away from exhaust and paid special attention around the EGR pipe ( this was my original problem ). The boots at the plugs seem to be getting to hot and failing. THis last time it was #1, I pulled the boot and the plug was covered in black soot. So, I bit the bullet and bought $200 Accel ceramic boot plug wires ( and new plugs again ) that are supposed to be good for 2000 degrees. Its running like a top again. We'll see over time if they hold up.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pics of the area please. Both sides

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In addition to the factory shields, you can slide some wire harness insulation over the boots to make them last longer. Only 454 boot I've legitimately roached though had the factory heat shield fall off, but that engine is supercharged so really gets those exhaust manifolds cooking.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never had burned boots and half my shields fell off years ago. I am in mostly cooler weather and tow very little though. When I did wires last, I replaced the missing shields with LS style shields. They just slide over the boots, so no fighting rusty hardware.

LikeABoat

Reaction score
In addition to the factory shields, you can slide some wire harness insulation over the boots to make them last longer. Only 454 boot I've legitimately roached though had the factory heat shield fall off, but that engine is supercharged so really gets those exhaust manifolds cooking.
I have heat shield on all the wires near the EGR pipe. It’s missing some shields but the latest failure was with a factory shield. LS style shield would have been another good idea.