1998 chevrolet 1500 4l60e to nv4500 swap problems due to crank sensor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toyomudder

Reaction score
I have an issue with my truck and it seems the only way I can fix the issue is with a deleted transmission pcm. Either that or if you all could let me know how to trick any scanner into doing a crank sensor relearn for my 1998 chevrolet truck. My issue is I do NOT have a 4l60 transmission in my truck anymore. After the 7th time of replacing the transmission I had had enough and went ahead and swapped a nv4500 out of a 1994 chevrolet c10 and ran everything to make the cruise control, reverse lights, and clutch pedal work properly. The only issue is about 3 months after I finally got around to disposing of that ****** automatic my crank sensor went out, and now I need the relearn so I can get rid of the annoying misfire and check engine light. But when you go and do tbe relearn in ANY scanner it needs the transmission to be in park and emergency brake on AND A/C OFF. And all it will do is kick me out saying my trans is not in park. because it can't read that it's in park. The wiring says the neutral safety switch is pink from the fuse panel and light green to the tail light the problem is it wont tell the pcm that the transmission is in park. I have tried just about all I can and I have even tried getting a new pcm but all these places all they want to do is send you one that is flashed to your same vin# not something custom. I mean is it really that hard? They can do all of this raising the top speed and Rev limiter to the new updates.... why not flash the computer and tell me which wire to hook to and be done! Sorry for the frustration guys it seems to be getting more and more of a pain to do anything anymore with all these regulations!

toyomudder

Reaction score
And I am sorry if this is something from an old post that I may have missed. But some of these guys are long winded and I don't mind reading but there is only so much repeat before you fall asleep.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send the pcm to blackbear for a tune

Or they can sell you a pcm for a 98 truck that had a manual

toyomudder

Reaction score
They are one of the companies that I have emailed trying to give them some simple business and they couldn't help me... so they say. It's like as soon ad I say something about a swap of anything, they say they can't help me. They all act like I am trying to do a dpfe delete. I. An do those blindfolded! I am really just trying to get my truck to run and drive right again. Thanks for your input

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are one of the companies that I have emailed trying to give them some simple business and they couldn't help me... so they say. It's like as soon ad I say something about a swap of anything, they say they can't help me.

That is surprising. When I swapped from a 4L60E to a 4L80E in my red truck ('97 C1500, V6) Black Bear had no issues programming my stock PCM for the new transmission. Granted that was years ago at this point, but I don't see why they'd be worried about a transmission swap.

You have a '98 so the PCM is supported by HPTuners and EFILive. This should be doable for anyone who has experience with either of those software packages.

toyomudder

Reaction score
I am guessing it's easier to go from automatic to bigger automatic than it is to delete one. I just don't see what is so hard... just delete the transmission out of the pcm and everything should be happy right? It's not like a dodge that has a tone ring in the rear axle or a ford that gets all its speedo info from the abs sensors so what is so hard besides the fact that the world has become lazy as hell since covid! I am just ready to go back to old school carb anyways! Guess I am gonna pull the motor and get ot ready for real power not this computer bullshit!