14 bolt swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Hey all,

My truck is a 93 Chevy K1500, 4wd.

I just finally got my new 14 bolt SF swapped in and I noticed the leaf springs are very close to the tires. Any reason why this would be?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you relocate the original mount locations on the axle? Is the new axle narrower, ( axle flange to axle flange width ) than your previous? Start with the obvious, basic dimensions, and compare.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Did you relocate the original mount locations on the axle? Is the new axle narrower, ( axle flange to axle flange width ) than your previous? Start with the obvious, basic dimensions, and compare.
I didn’t have to relocate anything. The spring perches and shock mounts lined up perfectly. This rear was from a 4wd truck so everything fit well. I pre measured everything before I ripped it all apart. The only difference I notice is the axle appears to be narrower but it’s not the backing plates are just set back a little further than the 10 bolt to make up for the difference in the drum size.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I did replace the leaf springs but that should not make a huge difference.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t have to relocate anything. The spring perches and shock mounts lined up perfectly. This rear was from a 4wd truck so everything fit well. I pre measured everything before I ripped it all apart. The only difference I notice is the axle appears to be narrower but it’s not the backing plates are just set back a little further than the 10 bolt to make up for the difference in the drum size.
How certain are you this is from a 4WD? What is width of axle from wheel mounting surface to other WMS?
Post some pictures too.
If it’s that noticeable, it sounds like a 2wd axle which is narrower by i think 3”.

Last edited:

FrankieD61

Reaction score
How certain are you this is from a 4WD? What is width of axle from wheel mounting surface to other WMS?
Post some pictures too.
If it’s that noticeable, it sounds like a 2wd axle which is narrower.

The width from hub to hub? If it was a 2wd wouldn’t the spring perches and shock mounts be different? I’ll post some pics soon.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The width from hub to hub? If it was a 2wd wouldn’t the spring perches and shock mounts be different? I’ll post some pics soon.
I thought they were the same, which is why it’s critical to get whichever axle 4WD/2WD you need. You need to confirm WMS to WMS.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Yea, before I purchased it I made sure the place was selling me one off of a 4wd truck. I even called them back and they said yup pulled a 4wd version… once the rain stops I’ll get some pictures.. what are the measurements supposed to be? If I have the wrong rear, I’m gonna scream… lol

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The confusing part for the junkyard experts is even though the semi-float is 2wd, it’s a 6 lug. So they just assume, based on that.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I figured it out…… I’m a complete moron. I didn’t put the drums on.. in my defense my brain has been consumed with other life stuff.. so sorry but thank you…