14 bolt sf disc conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
95 K1500 with a 14 bolt sf, looking to go disc in the rear. Likely will be upgrading fronts as well eventually. Where can I source a different combination valve for disc/disc? Also what can i source the setup off of? I do not want to use flat conversion brackets, i would prefer using oem parts that can be purchased over the counter at a parts store.

Thanks in advance

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To do it properly you either need to fabricate mounts to bridge the gap between your current axle and the intended brakes or modify an axle housing off of a newer truck to fit yours. I don't know of any factory bolt on combo, because if it existed folks would be doing that instead of the garbage kits that everyone and their dog raves about even though they suck @$s.

Reaction score
To do it properly you either need to fabricate mounts to bridge the gap between your current axle and the intended brakes or modify an axle housing off of a newer truck to fit yours. I don't know of any factory bolt on combo, because if it existed folks would be doing that instead of the garbage kits that everyone and their dog raves about even though they suck @$s.
if it comes to putting a newer axle underneath the truck, i can move spring perches and shock mounts then. But still i'm not sure where to source a combination valve to ensure the rear gets proper fluid volume/pressure, i think this would possibly entail a master? at that point I may as well switch to NBS all around, as long as whether or not I'll need a combination valve. Don't the drum brake ones have some sort of residual pressure valve in them?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 K1500 with a 14 bolt sf, looking to go disc in the rear.

If you haven't already, dump the JB5/JB6 MC and front calipers for a JB7 MC and JB7 calipers (or use the NBS MC and JB7 calipers, which future-proofs you for the disc rear if you ever take the plunge). Those, with the 11" drums that are on that 14bolt sf, will perform quite well.

You can put a largest cylinder on the 11" drums if you wish, it's 1.1875" diameter. There are smaller variants, the 1" and one slightly larger.

I didn't give you solution for disc brakes, but maybe you'll decide you don't need them once you've made the changes.

$0.02

If you decide to go NBS all around, please document the swap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted an aftermarket combination valve they got from Summit. Deleted the holdoff/metering valve, so it was suitable for disc front and rear. I don't remember which thread that was in. I bet you could find it by searching the Summit site for combination valves.

Make sure the disc-brake conversion kit you buy is rated for at least your trucks GVWR.

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
95 K1500 with a 14 bolt sf, looking to go disc in the rear. Likely will be upgrading fronts as well eventually. Where can I source a different combination valve for disc/disc? Also what can i source the setup off of? I do not want to use flat conversion brackets, i would prefer using oem parts that can be purchased over the counter at a parts store.

Thanks in advance
Google "chevy pv4 combination valve," that's what you're looking for. Similar to the pv2 on squarebody trucks but for disc/disc

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put rear disc brakes from a 2002 silverado 1500 on my 98 K1500. Its a pretty easy swap. You need the axle spacers from cunningham machine, and a complete 10 bolt rear end off a silverado/tahoe/suburban from 99-2006. You remove your axles, drum brakes and backing plates. You will install the spacers, 10 bolt backing plates and the entire disc brake assemblies. You will need to make a bracket to mount the parking brake cables to the frame. You will need to buy the adjustable parking brake cable from a 99-2003 silverado. This is the middle cable that connects the pedal cable to the backing plate cables and allows you to adjust the parking brakes. There are 3 different sizes. I recommend buying all 3 and returning the ones you don't need. I can send you photos.

It's a pretty easy swap if you are condifent in bleeding your brakes and removing your axles from the rear end. The braking performance is awesome. This will work with the stock ABS system, but If you really want to take it to the next level, ditch the ABS, plumb the fronts together and install an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brakes. You can add more pressure to the rear brakes which is nice to have for disc. I use a willwood 1200psi valve cranked at full power and its perfect. Then... install a hydroboost and pedal from a k2500-3500 truck and the k3500 front calipers. You will have incredible brakes. That's what I'm running on my 98, and its awesome.

https://cunninghammachine.com/chevy-and-gmc/obs-1988-1998/brake/