14 bolt FF improved seal? Two piece. National 710568

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I came across this video awhile back, he is doing seals on an OBS 14 bolt FF dually. Instead of using the traditional one piece seal, he gives the part number 710568 for a National seal. In the video he shows its a two piece seal. This would seem to possibly eliminate having to sleeve the tubes if they are bad, but would also just be better in the long run it would seem anyhow.

Anyone tried this?

The rock auto page shows it as a 2001 and up seal. https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,710568,wheel+seal,1860

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

The seal physically fits. What are the rotational limits (RPM limit) for that seal?

Wild Guess with no evidence: Seal is intended for low RPM applications. But I'm too lazy to look up specs.

I'm more concerned about the scoring on the shaft from the inner bearing, which he doesn't seem to even notice.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
RA page lists it as a brake wheel hub/wheel seal, same category as the factory style. I'm kinda thinking its just the seal used in the newer axles, but kind of surprised to the fact they may be the same.

He says he had problems with it leaking, who knows what its been through. I'm not saying he isn't bandaiding things over there, I just don't like a seal slowly cutting into the axle tube. Seems fairly confident in the knowledge.

Although I re-geared my axle, I haven't been into my rear brakes yet, I dunno how they aren't ****** all over after sitting in a field for all those years. Its just probably waiting till Im 1000 miles from home, if I dont do it now. Figured I'd ask, in case someone else might be in the know.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check on National Seals web catalogs? I've used " Speedy Sleeves " on a multitude of Automotive / Equipment and have had good results. In harsher environments replacing the sleeve saves the axles or hubs or spindle from excessively wearing.
Just watching, the first thing that comes to mind. Install the seal in brake hub. What the fit on the stub? Will it try to pop out of the outer half. It is pressed on to the stub first?

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the 2 piece seal will work. The problem is, the scoring on the spindle will allow fluid seepage. The solution for the scoring is a speedy sleeve. However once the speedy sleeve is installed, the 2 piece seal doesn’t fit properly. Ask me how I know

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, at least someone here has used it before. I don't even know if I have scoring, just freshening things up. This would be in the preventative maintenance category to me. Would fix the scoring in a different manner, if that ends up an issue.

GoToGuy, I wondered about it popping out also, but it seems they just go on like that. The later transfer cases with the yolk in the front use a two piece seal, with a special driver though. And no, I havent checked any catalogs.

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, at least someone here has used it before. I don't even know if I have scoring, just freshening things up. This would be in the preventative maintenance category to me. Would fix the scoring in a different manner, if that ends up an issue
Let us know how it works out, I’d like to know for future reference or another build

Blazerbiker

Reaction score
Not new stuff, we (ORD) have been using and recommending/selling these for quite a while. They'll seal up a lot of problem spindles as the part that goes on the spindle is fairly wide and pretty soft rubber. A little silicone helps that interface seal better too. Biggest problem is they don't come off very easy compared to the old style but it's nice that they do seal up so well. It's generally worth it.