Smeding Performance 383 in a 97 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with them while researching...I liked everything they had to say except the China-forged block. I ended up buying and resealing a used vortec to get my rig back on the road for the summer here. If I end up keeping it, itll be a toss up on whether a 383 goes in, it or a small turbo 5.3
I finished the engine with Edelbrock ETec 170 heads, Summit Pro SBC Billet Stage 2 cam 8801, Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 roller tip rockers, Cloys single roller timing set, Holley aluminum chain cover with the crank hole which seems to be a lot better than the stock plastic, new GM balancer, all the Vortec stuff off the old motor with new MPFI spider, NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, Summit 8mm spiro wires, Summit Vortec distributer with brass terminals. I am fighting a random missfire issue. I believe it is going to end up being the stock PCM, because I still need to do a 0411 swap so we can plug HP Tuners in. About to put mid length headers, true 2.5" duals with no cat into a Jones Full Bore dual in dual out crossflow muffler.

Danimal08

Reaction score
I finished the engine with Edelbrock ETec 170 heads, Summit Pro SBC Billet Stage 2 cam 8801, Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 roller tip rockers, Cloys single roller timing set, Holley aluminum chain cover with the crank hole which seems to be a lot better than the stock plastic, new GM balancer, all the Vortec stuff off the old motor with new MPFI spider, NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, Summit 8mm spiro wires, Summit Vortec distributer with brass terminals. I am fighting a random missfire issue. I believe it is going to end up being the stock PCM, because I still need to do a 0411 swap so we can plug HP Tuners in. About to put mid length headers, true 2.5" duals with no cat into a Jones Full Bore dual in dual out crossflow muffler.
Good luck with the misfire. Those are always fun to chase down...411 PCM will likely be my next stop to wake this 5.7 up a bit.

Sounds about like the combo I had spec'd out. I bet itll be a monster when its sorted out. I was stunned at the cost of those heads. But Im also stunned at the cost of everything anymore, so theres that. Local machine work has gone through the roof, which is fine- a guy has to keep up with inflation...Just waiting on my pay to catch up...

I love the SBC torque profile but I figured I'd try to replicate it with a turbo'd 5.3 and have slightly more modern architecture as far as fuel delivery systems go. I have a feeling that spider injector may get pretty tough to find in the coming years...and I can buy a complete LS setup for what a marine manifold fetches anymore.

supspt454

Reaction score
Good luck with the misfire. Those are always fun to chase down...411 PCM will likely be my next stop to wake this 5.7 up a bit.

Sounds about like the combo I had spec'd out. I bet itll be a monster when its sorted out. I was stunned at the cost of those heads. But Im also stunned at the cost of everything anymore, so theres that. Local machine work has gone through the roof, which is fine- a guy has to keep up with inflation...Just waiting on my pay to catch up...

I love the SBC torque profile but I figured I'd try to replicate it with a turbo'd 5.3 and have slightly more modern architecture as far as fuel delivery systems go. I have a feeling that spider injector may get pretty tough to find in the coming years...and I can buy a complete LS setup for what a marine manifold fetches anymore.
Did the 0411 swap today. 02 Express van tune. Started right away, no stored codes, and no misfires!