'97 Steering Gearbox Replacement Guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s odd after 2 years your getting play hmm??? Think for the money spent it would be a premium build Yielding at least 10 yrs of proper functioning.
Yeah it's real subtle. I'm not convinced 100% it's not something I've done but will look into it soon. Like I said, I just notice it has a little play before it responds but still magnitudes better than I'm used to with my old rudder...

How finicky is it when you veer/change lanes at 70mph on the interstate? Does it float over fast ?
It's not finicky at all imo. The only thing that's different imo is that it actually responds when it's supposed to.

I've had 2 close calls. 1 at 50mph and was able to go around a car that pulled out in front of me and I cut back quick no problem. The other time a golf ball landed in the hwy in front of me and I jerked pretty hard and far doing 50. That was a bit sketchy but not because the ratio I don't think.... my truck has a worn 3" body lift... my old boat steering definitely would have been smoother there but I'd have probably nicked the car from the other scenario...
I've been on several 300 mile trips doing 75-80mph and it's perfect on the interstate..it really is like what it's supposed to be imo...a real pleasure..
It's the slight play that's most bugging me tbh.... I don't like that little left/right slop/delay when heading straight...but it's subtle.......

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I think I will try the borg. It is cheaper on summit's website than the borg website even.
I ordered mine from Summit and had it in a few days.

@scott2093 - I also have a bit of slop in my box. It’s on the input side and is minimal but noticeable. Mine has zero miles on it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Summit and had it in a few days.

@scott2093 - I also have a bit of slop in my box. It’s on the input side and is minimal but noticeable. Mine has zero miles on it.
Damnit! And I sent you that link. I hope it’s ok, cause you were on track to send your original out to Turn One.